Pirates Score Two Key Road Wins; Now 5-2

Dec 22, 2012
by Ezra Lacina
This week the Pirates basketball team won two thrillers that went down to the final buzzer to improve their record to five and two.

On Tuesday the Pirates traveled to Life Christian Academy to face a talented Eagles team. The Pirates came out flat on defense to begin the game and the Eagles took advantage quickly taking the lead, but as the first quarter went on the Pirates managed to keep it close. At the end of the first quarter the Eagles had the lead with a score of 19-17.

In the second quarter the Pirates defense started to tighten up and wouldn’t let the Eagles pull away. Sophomore Jesse Norton got the offense going making shots on drives to the lane that seemed impossible. At halftime the Pirates were winning 33-29.

In the second half Junior Garrett Starr got the Pirates started with a great turn around fade away shot, and the momentum shifted in the Pirates favor. The Pirates maintained their lead, though it was slim at best. “We had some chances to pull away but they just kept hitting big shots” said Pirates head coach Andy Sears. Towards the end of the game the Eagles started to come back. With only eight seconds left the Pirates had a one point lead and Life Christian had the ball. As they ran their play the Eagles shooting guard got the ball at the top of the key, but the game winning shot was blocked by a group of Pirates as time expired. The final score revealed a Pirates victory 67-66.

The second contest of the week was a road game at Bellevue Christian. The Bellevue Christian Vikings completely outmatched the Pirates in size. It felt like a David versus Goliath contest.

In the first quarter the Pirates couldn’t get anything going on offense, but defensively they refused to roll over. At the end of the first quarter the score was 12-3 Vikings.

As the second quarter got under way the Pirates managed to get some momentum, junior Thomas Douglas nailed a three then immediately stole the ball back for the Pirates. Despite the Pirates efforts the Vikings continued to dominate. At the end of the first half the score was 21-12 Vikings.

The second half was a different story. The Pirates came out fast mounting a huge comeback. Senior Ben Whitaker had a great second half scoring most of his twelve points. He started it off with a great steal and layup touching the rim as the ball fell through the net to pull the Pirates within three. The big plays just kept coming for the Pirates, Whitaker hit a three from NBA range to take the lead for the Pirates, but the Vikings took it right back. Sophomore Ian Stewart re-established the lead with an amazing three pointer getting knocked to the ground as he let it go. The Vikings still had a chance to win but Jesse Norton put the game away with two free throws as the Pirates won 41-37. Norton led the Pirates in scoring with 19 points.